Organ meats are the most important cornerstone of our diet. The problem? We don't even eat them...EVER!
We don't eat them and probably our parents and maybe even grand parents never consumed organ meats on a regular basis. It's been multiple generations now that we as a society have not consumed organ meats. This is a cause for huge concern.
However, we can reclaim health and vitality by eating organ meats. And guess what? You don't even need to taste them!
I love the feeling of being a healthy human - feeling blood pumping through my veins, feeling alive and enthralled, a clear mind, conscious of my connection to the land and earth and loved ones. I love the feeling of having endless stamina. An Olympic tennis coach I once worked for affectionally dubbed me Wonder Woman. That was a huge compliment, and a real testament to the quality of food I was fueling my cells, mitochondria, and flora.
I believe much of my health is attributed to eating organ meats.
Our wildling cat always knows exactly what I'm doing when I'm making liver pills. He waits patiently for me to toss him a few. He merrily cracks the cellulose capsule open and chews the desiccated liver powder. Animals, when given a choice, always eat organ meat first
"So what makes liver so wonderful? Quite simply, it contains more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food. In summary, liver provides:
An excellent source of high-quality protein
Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12
One of our best sources of folic acid
A highly usable form of iron
Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
An unidentified anti-fatigue factor"
"A 1951 study demonstrated this…
Lab rats were divided into three groups.
Group One was fed a basic diet…
Group Two was fed a basic diet plus B Vitamins…
And Group Three was fed a basic diet plus powdered liver.
The rats were put into a bucket of cold water and forced to sink or swim.
Rats in Groups 1 and 2 both swam for about 13 minutes before sinking…
And the liver group?
Three of them swam for 63, 83 and 87 minutes…
Have I convinced you yet that you need liver in your life?
So if you don't want to cook liver or make pate (for which I have a great recipe on this blog), how can you consume liver? By making capsules full of this precious, sacred food!
If you're tight on time, you can always purchase capsules. I only recommend buying 100% grass fed organ meat capsules from companies like Ancestral Supplements and Heart & Soil. Please make sure to find out the origin of where these organs are coming from.
The only down side to buying? They're costly. I am a new mom and prefer to be nursing my babies right now and making sure we have proper meals to eat. I am happy to pay for capsules in this season of life. But for years I have made my own.
I've gotten so many requests for this info so here it is! Make your own organ capsules on your own for super cheap.
DIY LIVER CAPSULES
What you'll need:
- Fresh or frozen beef liver
- Dehydrator that holds a lot and dries product evenly (like Excalibur)
- Powerful Blender
- Parchment paper
- Capsule filling machine
- Empty gelatin capsules (same size holes as machine)
- Silica packets
1. Defrost your liver. I make a few packages at a time.
2. Cut liver into small chunks - 1-2"
3. Place chunks into strong blender and blend away. The result doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, take a look:
4. Spread mix onto parchment paper, about 1/4" thick and pop into the dehydrator.
5. Dehydrate in a good dehydrator until you can snap the pieces they're so dry. You can dehydrate at a somewhat higher temp because the Vitamin A, etc. is not destroyed by this level of heat.
I'll usually stop at this point and make the caps another time. In that case, I'll put the liver sheets in a bag with silica packets to make sure it all stays dry.
6. When you've got some more time, break out that blender again and blend 3" pieces of dried liver. Really blitz them. This is going to be the powder that you fill your capsules.
7. Use a pill machine to make your liver pills (you can purchase online for an inexpensive price. Mine has definitely paid for itself with all of the supplements I've made over the years). Just make sure to match your size pill machine to capsule size. I use gelatin caps and I believe they're size 0.
8. Store in a glass container in a cool, dark location. I always add in a couple of silica packets (from seaweed packages), just to make sure things stay dry.
9. Feel free to add other organs too! Heart, brains, any good organs you can get.
There you have it! Organ meats, the most crucial part of the diet that our modern world has left out. You don't have to like the flavor or grow accustomed to the texture. Feed yourself and nourish your family on the deepest level. Either make your own pills on a budget, if you have the time and tools. Or purchase high quality 100% grass fed.
Thinking of getting pregnant or struggling to conceive? Load up on organ meats and fertility will blossom. Have babies and kids already? Liver is for the whole family.
We feed our babies breast milk along with raw milk and homemade formula made of bone broth and beef liver. This gives them mega nutrition and I will be surprised if they do not absolutely relish eating liver as they grow into adults. That is a precious gift to my children and children's children.